Geography

Geography is a broad, interesting and very relevant subject, concerned primarily with the study of people and the world around them. A study of geography should help students develop a deeper understanding of their physical and human environment. Through their study of this subject, students should develop a range of geographical skills that should help them make informed judgments about issues at local, national and international levels.

The subject is taught in a variety of ways. Fieldwork is a key element of Geography allowing the students to develop their skills away from the classroom. The students are encouraged to participate in their own learning, to develop active study skills and to achieve at the highest level. All students take Geography to the Junior Certificate, a course that is both wide-ranging and interesting.

Transition Year 
The students also take the subject in Transition Year where many topics such as Ordnance Survey, Environmental and River Studies can be explored in more depth than is possible in the examination syllabus of Junior and Leaving Certificates. The extensive use of computers and the Internet is just one of the many innovative teaching and learning techniques that are utilised at this level. 

Leaving Certificate Level
At Leaving Certificate Level the Geographical Investigation (fieldwork) now accounts for 20% of the marks for Geography in the Leaving certificate. The remaining 80% is earned in the written examination which is 2 hours and 50 minutes long. Finally, a student of Geography should develop sensitivity to people of other cultures, be aware of the importance of conservation and should acquire a knowledge and understanding of their physical and human surroundings...